Re: Re: NthSubset function of Combinatorica package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88852] Re: [mg88835] Re: NthSubset function of Combinatorica package
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 05:17:22 -0400 (EDT)
On 18 May 2008, at 22:26, Szabolcs Horv=E1t wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Andrzej Kozlowski
> <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

>>> You can read the source code of all standard packages.  Go to
>>> $InstallationDirectory/AddOns/Packages/Combinatorica, and search for
>>> NthSubset in Combinatorica.m.  You will find that it just calls the
>>> built-in Subsets function.
>>>
>>> Subsets[] is built-in, so we cannot see its implementation.  But
>>> there
>>> are several subset-related functions in Combinatorica, such as
>>> KSubsets,
>>> whose code is available.  You can check those.
>>>
>>> Or just search the web.  Here's the first hit I got for "generating
>>> subsets":
>>>
>>> http://compprog.wordpress.com/2007/10/10/generating-subsets/
>>>
>>> And a Mathematica implementation of this algorithm (for generating =

>>> all
>>> subsets):
>>>
>>> subsets[l_List] :=
>>> Table[Pick[l, IntegerDigits[k, 2, Length[l]], 1],
>>>  {k, 0, 2^Length[l] - 1}]
>>>

>> However, note that
>>
>> Subsets[Range[1000], All, {1100}]
>>
>> ( {{1, 100}} )
>>
>> returns the answer immediately while
>>
>> Subsets[Range[1000], All]
>>
>> gives a rather different answer ... so the former certianly does
>> make use of
>> the latter.
>>

> Certainly you mean that it does NOT make use of the latter (just a
> typo). :-)

Yes, looking back at my posts I often see that some things that I
meant to be there are missing, or that some things that I did not mean
to be there are present. Very rarely everything is perfectly in order
but then the post itself is missing ;-)

> I am quite confused about the subset-related functions of
> Combinatorica.
>
> There are several functions for generating the nth subset for
> different orderings.  The doc page of NthSubset uses the expression
> "canonical order", and this is what the function produces:
>
> Table[NthSubset[i, {1, 2, 3}], {i, 0, 2^3 - 1}]
>
> {{}, {1}, {2}, {3}, {1, 2}, {1, 3}, {2, 3}, {1, 2, 3}}

This is the standard length-lexicographic ordering. That means: first
subsets are ordered by length, then, among those of equal length the
lexicographic order is used.

> The doc page of NextSubset also mentions "canonical order", but it
> generates subsets in a different order:
>
> NestList[NextSubset[{1, 2, 3}, #] &, {}, 2^3 - 1]
>
> {{}, {3}, {2}, {2, 3}, {1}, {1, 3}, {1, 2}, {1, 2, 3}}

Here it seems that subsets are ordered "lexicographically" according
to the elements they do not contain - those that do not contain 1 come
before those that do, if both contain (or both do not contain) 1, then
those that do not contain 2 come earlier, and so on.

> The doc page of UnrankSubset says "some canonical order":
>
> Table[UnrankSubset[i, {1, 2, 3}], {i, 0, 2^3 - 1}]
>
> {{}, {3}, {2, 3}, {2}, {1, 2}, {1, 2, 3}, {1, 3}, {1}}

This one seems more complicated, or at least I can only see a fairly
complicated way of describing it. First, subsets that do not contain 1
come before those that do. Next, among those that do not contain 1,
those that contain 2 come after those that don't and among those that
do contain 1, those that contain 2 are come before those that do not.
This "alternation" is then continued inductively. (there maybe a much
easier way to describe this ordering  but I can't see it right now). I
assume that this somewhat strange ordering is used because of better
performance (?)

This is the standard length-lexicographic ordering. That means, first
subsets are ordered by length. Then, among those of equal length the
lexicographic order is used.

Andrzej Kozlowski