Re: Problems with ListPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88925] Re: Problems with ListPlot
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:51:54 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/20/08 at 6:53 AM, szhorvat at gmail.com (Szabolcs Horv=C3=A1t) wrote:

>igorvict at gmail.com wrote:
>>I noticed the following problems when creating ListPlot in
>>Mathematica 6 (see the example):

>>ListPlot[{0, 1, 2}, PlotMarkers -> Style["\[FilledCircle]",
>>FontSize -> 12], Joined -> True, GridLines -> Automatic, PlotRange
>>-> {{1, 3}, {0.5, 1.5}}, PlotRangeClipping -> False, ImagePadding
>>-> 10]

>>1) The plot markers have an offset slightly to the left from their
>>correct position

>Precise positioning is not really achievable when glyphs from a font
>are used as plot markers.  The problem can be cured by using
>graphics objects:

>PlotMarkers -> {Graphics[Circle[]], .05}

>Or if you need disks as plot markers, then just use a larger point
>size.

Why not use

PlotMarkers -> {Graphics[Disk[]], .05}

if you want disks as plot markers instead of circles?

>>2) In addition of 1 point and 1 line (2 other should be clipped as
>>they lie outside of the range) I see 2 points, where the line
>>crosses the lower and upper edges of the plot.

>I don't really understand this second question ...

I think the original poster was thinking the graphic should be
consistent with:

ListPlot[{0, 1, 2}, PlotMarkers -> {Graphics[Disk[]], .05},
  Joined -> True, GridLines -> Automatic,
  PlotRange -> {{1, 3}, {0.5, 1.5}}]

Notice the top and bottom disks are clipped since the specified
value of PlotRange isn't sufficient to fully include the top and
bottom disks.

I believe the reason this was not seen using the original
poster's code was due to the inclusion of the ImagePadding
option and using PlotRangeClipping->False which combine so that
the top and bottom disks are not clipped. That is compare the
graphic using the code above to: