Re: Re: RenderBadPicture error while running Mathematica 6 on Linux

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89039] Re: [mg88997] Re: RenderBadPicture error while running Mathematica 6 on Linux
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 03:54:46 -0400 (EDT)

The font problem with showing Text cells comes from the fact that Ubuntu
Hardy's default font distribution is such that no decent Times-like font
that Mathematica is expecting is installed on the system by default.  If
changing the Qt libraries affects this (it's not clear to me whether
you're implying it does or not), then it's merely an accident of how
Qt's most degenerate case of font handling is working, I suspect.

In any case, you can evaluate the following bit of code to have Mathematica use
"Bitstream Vera Sans" as the default Times-type font...

AppendTo[CurrentValue[$FrontEnd, FontSubstitutions],
 "Utopia" -> "Bitstream Vera Serif"]

We'll soon be releasing a 6.0.3 which has, among other things, some fixes for
Hardy and Fedora Core 9 so that things work better out of the box.  It still
won't be perfect, I think, but things should be fairly improved.

Thanks for pointing to the launchpad site.  I'm not sure any developers here
were aware of the discussion going on there.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group