Re: Integrating Interpolation functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89057] Re: Integrating Interpolation functions
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 03:58:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Hugh,

see below, Daniel

Hugh Goyder wrote:

> Below I given an illustrative example where I have a two-dimensional

> interpolation function, f1[x,t], and I integrate over x and obtain a

> one-dimensional expression g1 which is an interpolation function

> depending on t.  The interpolation function g1 has a built-in argument

> of t ie it ends in [t].  I would prefer it to be a pure function so

> that I could use any variable instead of t, like the original

> interpolation function, f1.  I give a work-around which defines a new

> function independent of t. However, I feel that there should be

> 1. A better way of getting the interpolation function from Integrate

> without the built in t

you put the "t" in yourself. If you want a pure function:

g1=Evaluate[Integrate[f1[x,#] ,{x,0,1}]]&

> 2.A method of using NIntegrate rather than Integrate which should be

> able to use the information that the function is interpolated

the only guys who can do something about this are at Wolfram

> 3. A method that would work on a product of interpolating functions

unfortunately, Mathematica can not Integrate functions of

InterpolatingFunctions. But a work around is to re-interpolate like:

f3=FunctionInterpolation[f1[x,t]f2[x,t],{x,0,1},{t,0,1}]

f3 can now be integrated

--

Daniel Huber

Metrohm Ltd.

Oberdorfstr. 68

CH-9100 Herisau

Tel. +41 71 353 8585, Fax +41 71 353 8907

E-Mail:<mailto:dh at metrohm.com>

Internet:<http://www.metrohm.com>