Re: Sluggish performance in Save, bug?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89082] Re: Sluggish performance in Save, bug?
  • From: Art <grenander at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 03:22:34 -0400 (EDT)

On May 24, 12:59 am, John Fultz <jfu... at wolfram.com> wrote:
> Possibly.  If you can send me the notebook and details for reproducing the
> problem (i.e. give me the "small change" you make), I can determine whether or
> not it's a bug and, if it is, file it in our bugs database.  Warning,
> though...my response might not be so quick with the holiday weekend coming up.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Fultz
> jfu... at wolfram.com
> User Interface Group
> Wolfram Research, Inc.
>
> On Fri, 23 May 2008 03:09:28 -0400 (EDT), Art wrote:
> > Hi All,
>
> > I am trying to debug a problem with very sluggish Saving of a
> > notebook, as well as cutting and pasting of cells in a notebook, with
> > around 10 GraphicsGrid's of 10x8 MatrixPlot's that are around 10x10
> > each. When I save the notebook, it takes quite a while, enough to make
> > the notebook unusable. If I make a small change and save it again, it
> > takes just as long (10+ minutes). But the CPU is idle during this
> > time. It seems like Mathematica is either doing nothing or waiting on
> > something.
>
> > Was wondering if this is a bug and if there is a workaround. The
> > notebook itself is about 1mb, so it's relatively small. The
> > MatrixPlot's seem to be stored as
> > GraphicsBox[RasterBox[CompressedData["<string>"]]]. I know very little
> > about the internal format of Notebook's
>
> > I'm using 6.0.2 on Linux 64-bit.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Art.

Thanks for your replies.

I was unable to reproduce this behavior on another 64-bit and 32-bit
machine with similar Linux installations and 6.0.2. Before I waste any
more of your time, I will try to have an identical Mathematica
environment on each machine and post what the difference was that
causes this weirdness in case someone else has it.

Art.