Re: Please Help with Sums with the same StandardForm but different

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89133] Re: Please Help with Sums with the same StandardForm but different
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 06:24:20 -0400 (EDT)

Ho Jose,

in general an expression sum1 sum2 means the summands of sum1 are sum2.

This is in line with conventions from Mathematica (that is in a double

sum, the first index sums last). Therefore, both expressions are identical.

As there is no description what Equal really does we have to guess. If

we look at the FullForm of your expression, we see that they differ,

only the printed Form is the same. Well, I would gues that Equal

compares the FullForm.

To obtain "True" from Equal we have therefore to ensure that both sides

of the equation have the asme form. E.g.:

t1=Sum[f[j,k],{j,ja,jb},{k,ka,kb}]

t2=Sum[Sum[f[j,k],{k,ka,kb}],{j,ja,jb}]

t1==t2/.{HoldPattern[Sum[v1_,v2_,v3_]]:>Sum[Sum[v1,v3],v2]}

hope this helps, Daniel

--

Daniel Huber

Metrohm Ltd.

Oberdorfstr. 68

CH-9100 Herisau

Tel. +41 71 353 8585, Fax +41 71 353 8907

E-Mail:<mailto:dh at metrohm.com>

Internet:<http://www.metrohm.com>