Deleting parts of notebooks programmatically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89214] Deleting parts of notebooks programmatically
  • From: "J. McKenzie Alexander" <jalex at lse.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 07:06:07 -0400 (EDT)

Suppose that I have a part specification (as returned by Position) for
a component of the current InputNotebook[] that I would like to
delete, and that this part specification was determined
programmatically.  As a first guess I would try to use the function
NotebookDelete - except that only deletes the current *selection* in
the specified notebook, and there doesn't seem to be any easy way of
using SelectionMove to set the current selection so as to correspond
exactly to the region given by a part specification...

The only solution I've found is the following::

	nb = NotebookGet[ InputNotebook[] ];
	pos = Position[ nb, ..... ];
	NotebookPut[ Delete[nb, pos], InputNotebook[] ]

The problem is that this breaks any Manipulates appearing in the
notebook (any displayed graphic appears greyed out and doesn't ever
display correctly again until the notebook is closed and re-loaded).

In case anyone wants to see what motivates this, and an example
showing the Manipulate bug, here's a simple notebook which implements
endnotes in Mathematica (version 6 and higher).  Do keep in mind that
it's a beta, and not very robust yet.

	http://evolve.lse.ac.uk/~jalex/files/Endnotes.nb

Cheers,

Jason

--
Dr J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method