Re: Pure functions?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93247] Re: [mg93204] Pure functions?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 05:07:21 -0500 (EST)

Mathematica's notion of "pure-function" is the same as the
mathematical (or logical) notion of function in Alonzo Church's lambda-
calculus. Such a function is determined by a set of bound variables
and a body which may contain free variables (same as what you call
parameters). This always has the form: Function[{variables},body].
Mathematica's function Function[{x,y},x^2+y^2] (2 bound variables) or
Function[{x,y},x^2+ k y^2] (2 bound variables and one free variable)
are exactly the same as functions in lambda-calculus. This (though not
necessarily the name "pure function") has been standard in logic since
1936, rather longer than computers and programming languages.
Wikipedia's definition refers only to one meaning of pure function in
connection with computers - this meaning is much newer and much less
established.

Anonymous functions are a somewhat different matter. They are merely a
matter of convenience and allow one to avoid having to choose names
both for the functions themselves and for bound variables. Using names
for bound variables is not only inconvenient but also somewhat
deceptive, since Function[x, x^2] and Function[y, y^2] are exactly the
same function, but different as Mathematica expressions. Using
Function[#^2] or #^2 & is not only more compact but also less
ambiguous (in the case of complex expression using named bound
variables it may not be easy to see if they are the same functions or
not. Note that evaluating
Function[x, x^2] == Function[y, y^2]
will not tell you that.

I do not know how standard is the Mathematica usage of "pure" in this
context. In other functional languages pure functions are usually
simply called functions, but that is because they normally have only
"pure functions". Mathematica, however, also has "functios" defined by
means of patterns

f[x_]:=x^2

so there was a need to distinguish the two kinds. The word "anonymous"
does refer to this distinction, in fact a pure function may have a name:

f=Function[x,x^2]

and, in any case, "anonymous" normally refers not only to the fact
that the function does not have a name but that the bound variables
have unique standard names #1, #2,....

That's all, I think, there is to this issue and the Wikipedia article
seems to me a bit or a red herring.

Andrzej Kozlowski