Re: How to reverse Enter and Shift-Enter

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93281] Re: How to reverse Enter and Shift-Enter
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 01:57:24 -0500 (EST)

stpatryck wrote:
> Hello Fellow Mathematica Users,
>
> I was wondering if there was a way to make Mathematica evaluate when
> hitting Enter alone, and make the cursor go to the next line without
> evaluating using Shift-Enter.

You can do this by editing the

C:\Program Files\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\6.0\SystemFiles\FrontEnd\TextResources\Windows\KeyEventTranslations.tr

file (or the corresponding file on your system).  Just make a back up
before you modify the file and do not put any extra files in that directory.

> Wouldn't that be easier, since we evaluate more often than go to the
> next line?

No, it would be inconvenient for me.  I often use long input
expressions, and break them into lines manually to make them more
readable. (E.g. think about Module[].)

Also note that you can use the keypad enter key to evaluate cells.