Re: My talk "The Joy of Tagging" at this year's International

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93275] Re: My talk "The Joy of Tagging" at this year's International
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 01:56:19 -0500 (EST)

Yes, I believe that inline cells are generally treated as the contents
of the cell that contains them.

If you take a look at the ASCII source of a notebook that is saved to
disk (with a text editor) you will see that, after the Notebook
expression that represents the content of the notebook, there is a
variety of cache information that represents the mapping of the cells
in the notebook.  Though much of this is inscrutable--and completely
undocumented--you can see that some information like the Noteook's
CellIDs and CellTags are contained in it.  But, inline cells do not
appear in it.

To deal with finding in-line cells via, for example, NotebooKFind
you'd need to look for the CellContents rather than any tags.  I have
not checked whether hidden information in that inline cell would be
found in this way (such as a CellTag or an option value).  Another
approach would be to read in the whole notebook and use pattern
matching to find the inline cell and then to find the cell that
contains it, and so on...  Of course for a large notebook this miht be
a slow process.

BEst,

Davdi