RE: Re: Constructing a Label

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93421] RE: [mg93399] Re: Constructing a Label
  • From: "Jose Luis Gomez" <jose.luis.gomez at itesm.mx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 06:00:48 -0500 (EST)

Dear Nikolaus

A string is a sequence of characters, however, a computer language can do
different things with those characters when printing.

For example, in the computer language "C", a string like this "Hello\nBye"
is printed in two lines, the "\n" characters are Not printed literary, they
create an action (a "carriage return"), therefore printing "Hello" in the
first line and "Bye" in the second line.

Well, "Mathematica" does the same as "C", there are some special
combinations of characters that are not printed literally, but they make
Mathematica perform a special action (for example, print a formatted
fraction or a formatted exponent)

See this part of Mathematica's documentation:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/StringRepresentationOfBoxe
s.html

Now, personally, I do Not like using strings or boxes (RowBox) directly. The
reason is that I have use them a lot, a lot, in the source code of my
package for doing Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Computing in Mathematica:
http://homepage.cem.itesm.mx/lgomez/quantum/

And, as I have use them a lot, I know they are very complex, very messy, and
it is very simple to create RowBox that "looks" (prints) perfectly right to
a human, yet it cannot be understood by Mathematica.

(If you are brave, download my Quantum package and take a look at the source
code in the Notation.m file. I bet you will be surprised by the huge amount
of nested RowBox commands I have to use to incorporate Quantum Dirac's
notation in Mathematica)

Now, any any any expression that you write or obtain in Mathematica uses
RowBox, but usually they use it in a way totally hidden to the final user,
totally transparent.

Therefore, Why use the difficult, low-level RowBox command? Better use a
higher-level command like HoldForm, etc. this command will generate the
proper RowBox commands for you, and you do Not have to worry about them or
their low-level (difficult) syntax. You do Not even have to know that RowBox
exists, yet Mathematica is using it in a transparent way.

So I vote for:

f[x_] := x^3;
TraditionalForm[HoldForm[f[x]] == f[x]]

Best regards