6.0.3 Windows front end won't connect to kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93439] 6.0.3 Windows front end won't connect to kernel
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 03:58:51 -0500 (EST)

Any diagnosis of the following problem with Mathematica 6.0.3 running on
Windows XP Pro: In the Front end, if I try to evaluate an expression
with the usual Shift-Enter (or the numeric keypad's Enter), it merely
creates a new line, and no evaluation takes place.

The kernel is OK, as I can start that manually and evaluate expressions
there.

So what might have causes the break between Front end and Kernel and,
specifically, the reaction to Shift-Return.

Background: This system had its motherboard blown by a power surge over
my university's power lines, despite a surge protector. The motherboard
was replaced. The hard drives did not seem to have been affected.

AT first I was concerned that the new MB would change the MathID and
hence require a new password.  But the very same mathpass file still
seems to work OK.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305