Re: Basic programming

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93587] Re: [mg93576] Basic programming
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:04:14 -0500 (EST)

Use Partition to form the rolling windows. For example

data1 = {a, b, c, d, e, f, g};

Partition[data1, 3, 1]

{{a, b, c}, {b, c, d}, {c, d, e}, {d, e, f}, {e, f, g}}

Then map StandardDeviation onto the resulting windows

data2 = 100 + RandomReal[{0, 10}, {100}];

stdDev2 = StandardDeviation /@
   Partition[data2, 10, 1];

The argument to StandardDeviation must have at least two elements

data3 = {a, b, c, d}

{a,b,c,d}

FoldList[Append, Take[data3, 2], Drop[data3, 2]]

{{a,b},{a,b,c},{a,b,c,d}}

stdDev = Map[StandardDeviation,
   FoldList[Append, Take[#, 2], Drop[#, 2]] & /@

    Partition[data2, 10, 1], {2}];

stdDev[[All, 9]] == stdDev2

True

ListLinePlot[stdDev2]

ListLinePlot[Flatten[stdDev, 1],
 Epilog -> {Red, AbsolutePointSize[4],
   Point[Thread[{Range[9, 9*Length[stdDev2], 9], stdDev2}]]},
 ImageSize -> 600]

Bob Hanlon

---- BionikBlue <frankflip at hotmail.com> wrote:

=============
Hey I'm a beginner in mathematica and I'm trying to code a little something but can't seem to be able to make it work... I know its pretty basic and that's exactly my problem since the mathematica help is a bit overkill for what I need.

I have daily stock prices for a stock on a 100 day period, I want to compute the standard deviation for a rolling 10 days period for the whole list of data.

So basically, I would like to do something like this :
stdev(1;;10)
then stdev(2;;11)
until stdev(91;;100)
and get the results in a list

Id also like to get it another way, by starting with only one observation and building my standard deviation calculation until I have my whole rolling period built up, for example :
stdev(1)
stdev(1,2)
stdev(1,2,3)
until stdev(1;;10)
then same as before, roll the period until the end of dataset and produce a list of the results.

Thanks for the help, if what I wrote is not clear enough let me know, Ill try to explain it in more details!

--

Bob Hanlon