Working with vectors symbolically

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93606] Working with vectors symbolically
  • From: cool-RR <ram.rachum at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 06:19:07 -0500 (EST)

I need a CAS for working with vectors symbolically. I am accustomed to
using Mathematica for my symbolic math work, but it seems that
Mathematica is not up for the task. So I am hoping that you can either
show me how to do it in Mathematica, or refer me to some other CAS
that can handle this. [Do this my email to the author - moderator]
What I do are equations relating to electromagnetic fields. I have
long equations which are filled with scalar products and cross
products of vectors. Right now I have to simplify these equations by
hand. I want to be able to simplify them automatically... Also taking
limits. Mathematica has trouble taking limits on equations involving
vectors.

So anyone has any advice to offer?

Thanks,
Ram Rachum.