Re: Mathematica 7 is now available

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93672] Re: Mathematica 7 is now available
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 05:33:39 -0500 (EST)

Dear MatheGroup members,

I would like to put a trivial though an important question to you. For
some time I try to find problems to be best solved*
using Mathematica, and where parallel computing would be necessary. So
far I did not succeed in finding them. This tells
me that I do not understand something important. I would be grateful, if
you could give few examples. Very frankly,
this my mail is not aimed to state a uselessness of parallelization. In
contrast, I need few realistic examples to make my mind and
begin understanding, if I may need using a parallelization myself.

* Just to explain the point: molecular dynamics simulation for instance,
often requires parallelization, but here Fortran
of C would be probably methods of choice, rather than Mathematica. In
analytical calculations in contrast, Mathematica
 would be the method of choice, but in this case I do not see how
parallelization may be benefited from.

It is evident how this my question is related to the M7 release.

Best regards, and thank you in advance, Alexei

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., Habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.