Primed Symbols in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93720] Primed Symbols in Mathematica
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 04:11:56 -0500 (EST)

Notice that if you type

x\[Prime]   or x\[DoublePrime]

into Mathematica you obtain a perfectly good Symbol that can be used in any
Mathematica expression. And you could use any other leading character(s)
instead of x. The only trouble is that the Prime and DoublePrime sit at too
low a level and therefore this does not look good.

However, WRI has added many characters to the Mathematica character set and
I don't see any reason why they couldn't add prime and double prime
characters that DO sit at the correct level. This would make it very easy to
use primed symbols without any other special programming or routines.

I have to admit that I have broached this idea before and so far have not
found even a single Mathematica user that was interested in such a facility.
Still, primed symbols are very common in textbooks and papers and it seems
to me that it would be useful to have an easy access to them in Mathematica.

David Park

djmpark at comcast.net

 <http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark