Re: Mathematica 7.0 slow on OS X

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93790] Re: Mathematica 7.0 slow on OS X
  • From: Xerxes <saul.cohen at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 05:11:07 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 25, 7:19 am, jsk... at gmail.com wrote:

>    The main culprit is the next-to-last test (Binomial[m, k]) which
> jumps from 25.4s to 376.7s.

I confirm this behavior (under Windows XP). However, this Binomial
test does not appear to be doing anything. For values of k>5, the
Binomial objects will not resolve without application of FunctionExpand.
The test is simply generating a sum of ten million unexpanded
Binomial terms. Why that should be a factor of 10 slower under 7
is an interesting question, but it's certainly not the kind of task
anybody would want to perform in a real calculation.

If I cut the 10^7 binomials down to a manageable 10^3 and actually
expand them, I find that 7 improves on the performance of 6 by
about 3%.

Saul Cohen