EigenSystem fails to converge

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93841] EigenSystem fails to converge
  • From: "Adel Elsabbagh" <aelsabbagh at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 05:27:55 -0500 (EST)

Dear Mathematica professionals,

I have a system which I am trying to find its N lowest eigenvalues and
vectors using the function:
[l,u] = EigenSystem[{K,M},-N];
K and M are quite large matrices in the order of 1000*1000, and whose
entries are complex numbers.
The Eigensystem function works fine most of the time. However, sometimes it
gives me the following error for no reason that I know:
Eigensystem::cfail : Algorithm failed to converge.

Are there any options/methods for Eigensystem that I can choose and which
will allow the convergence?

Kind regards,

--
Adel Elsabbagh