Re: Solve this differential equation with periodic boundary conditions:

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93882] Re: Solve this differential equation with periodic boundary conditions:
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 05:35:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi Charlie,

I doubt if there are any non-trivial solutions (non constant) to your

problem.

Consider z=u', then z''=z^3. The solution will be a curve that everwhere

  bends away from the x axis. This is incompatible with periodicity if

the function needs to be continuous and differentiable.

hope this helps, Daniel