Re: Re: Re: v.7.0 issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93972] Re: [mg93951] Re: [mg93910] Re: v.7.0 issues
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 06:59:16 -0500 (EST)

I am in 100% agreement about the chasm. It took a while to get there,
but I am, as much as possible, on the other side of the chasm.

It is a new frontier. Remember all the crud that was published in the
infancy of desktop publishing. Eventually, good design won out, and I
think that the same thing will happen with dynamic mathematical
content. Right now, it is very easy to publish junk, and there is no
tradition for new documents. I think that Mathematica is the best tool
out there to do good work, but it will be a while before aesthetics
has a chance to catch up with technical capability.

If one has a premier service contract, there are three free licenses
for the Player Pro. I gave one to a colleague, and as soon as I could
send him a notebook with interactive content, he finally understood
what I have been talking about for years. (He is an MD but not
mathematically sophisticated.) I plan to write and distribute programs
and content that can be run with the Player pro.

I somewhat agree about the 'free' (or lower cost) Player Pro. The
player is quite limited unless one is only reading static documents or
running demonstrations, so the Player Pro is the only viable option,
short of Mathematica itself. In the business world, $200 for the
Player Pro is fairly close to 'free'. I don't see that lowering the
cost to $100 would make much difference. We'll see what the costs of
bundling the player Pro with an interactive electronic book is when
the time comes. I think that this use is where the cost of the Pro
Player will count.

I attended a couple of the Wolfram Publisher Days, and the take-away
that I got was that electronic content is the future. Even books Like
Theo Gray and Jerry Glynn's Beginner's guides -- from version 3 on --
made it clear that there is so much more that can be done with
interactive content. I would like to see some minimal improvements in
typesetting, such as smart quotes and better use of Open Type fonts,
and perhaps more choices in fonts distributed with Mathematica. I have
been in touch with Wolfram about these matters, and there is a
workaround for smart quotes, but it is to my eyes, inelegant.

It is doubtful that anyone could match the visual style of a good book
-- Tufte's books come to mind -- but that elegance is not essential
for electronic documentation. When OS X (and some future version of
Windows) has resolution independent text and graphics, then type will
have some new options. (Personally, I never liked Times, and I'm tired
of seeing Helvetica everywhere.)

Workbench does need to be made better. The current version 1.2 beta
provides the means to make documentation in the current style, but
Workbench itself has a steep learning curve. I never used Eclipse
before Workbench -- I wrote code for Macs using CodeWarrior or Xcode
-- but compared to IDEs that I have used, it is primitive. My next
task, after mastering the new stuff in Mathematica 6 and 7, is to tackle
Workbench. It would be better to have the documentation functionality
built-into Mathematica.

Cost is always a concern. Compared to competing products, Mathematica
is certainly competitive. When increased productivity is concerned,
the pay-back for a purchase of a new commercial license is trivial.
Certainly, the cost of the service contract is 'reasonable'. It's
about 2.5 times the upgrade cost for PhotoShop, and with the contract,
one gets Workbench free, 3 player pro licenses, and a lot of other
stuff.

Having said that, if I had to purchase a new Mathematica license
today, I would have a tough time at my company. I'd need a CapEx.
(When I originally purchased Mathematica in 1989, it cost about $750,
below the CapEx threshold.)

I have no solution for this. My view is that the commercial licensees
are subsidizing the student and educational users, and this is fine
with me.

It may make sense, though to adopt a tactic from our local
neighborhood pusher: provide essentially a student version (even a 1
year limited license) to anyone. This would eliminate the threshold
for people who may be casual users or just want to test the waters.
For the people who are hooked, then they can upgrade to a commercial
license via the Premier service. There may need to be an additional
upgrade fee; I am not a business type.

For anyone who is using even 10% of Mathematica's capabilities, the
cost of the program is well worth it. The main problem, as I see it,
is the high cost of entry.

just my 2 cents.

george