Re: Font size in plot coordinates?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92519] Re: Font size in plot coordinates?
  • From: m.r at inbox.ru
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 04:37:28 -0400 (EDT)

Szabolcs wrote:
> On Oct 1, 4:01 am, Jens-Peer Kuska <ku... at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > try:
> >
> > Graphics[{Text[Style["Fixed Size", FontSize -> 12], {1, 1}],
> >
> >    Text[Style["Scaled Size", FontSize -> Scaled[0.1]], {0, 0}]}]
> >
> > and look what happen when you rescale the graphics.
> >

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I know about this, but I am looking for a way
> to give the size in the same kind of coordinates we use for other
> graphics objects, and not coordinates that depend on the plot range.
>
> Consider the following example:
>
> A = Text[Style["A", FontSize -> Scaled[0.4]], {0.5, 0}]
> circle1 = Circle[{0, 0}, 1]
> circle2 = Circle[{-2, 0}, 1/2]
>
> These two graphics look different even though they contain the same
> objects:
>
> Graphics[{circle1, A}, Axes -> True]
> Graphics[{circle1, circle2, A}, Axes -> True]
>
> I would like to fix the size of that letter "A" in a flexible way, so
> that I won't have to keep the PlotRange constant in order to keep the
> relative size of the text and circle constant.

You can use Inset:

A = Inset[
 Graphics[Inset[Style["A", FontSize -> Scaled[1]]]],
 {.5, 0}, Automatic, 1];
circle1 = Circle[{0, 0}, 1];
circle2 = Circle[{-2, 0}, 1/2];

Graphics[{circle1, A}, Axes -> True]
Graphics[{circle1, circle2, A}, Axes -> True]

The width of the inset is always 1 (in plot range coordinates). I
think you'll still have to use polygonization if you want more precise
control over positioning and spacing. There was a thread a while ago
about displaying stacked DNA letters.

Maxim Rytin
m.r at inbox.ru