Re: Comparison between Mathematica and other symbolic systems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92504] Re: Comparison between Mathematica and other symbolic systems
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 04:34:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 30, 7:56 pm, "peter lindsay" <p... at me.com> wrote:
> hello Paolo
>
> I'm not sure direct comparison and discussion of other products
> is encouraged in this forum.
> It might be better to ask experts directly?
>
> Peter
>
> 2008/9/30 Paolo Bientinesi <pau... at aices.rwth-aachen.de>
>
> > Hi everybody,
>
> > As part of a presentation to students, I will have to support the
> > claim that "Mathematica is better than other systems when it comes to
> > symbolic computations". Some experts in other systems will be
> > giving a 15 min presentation to convince the audience of the contrary,
> > and then it will be my turn.
>
> > At this point I am quite clueless on how to make my point across.
> > First of all, I am not at all familiar with any other system's
> > symbolic toolboxes, so I don't know what are the weaknesses. Also, I
> > am not sure what kind of demo could really make an impression on
> > graduate students and colleagues.
>
> > Has any of you any experience on this? Ideas? Suggestions?
>
> > Thank you!
> > --
> > Prof. Paolo Bientinesi, Ph.D.
> > RWTH Aachen University, AICES
> > pau... at aices.rwth-aachen.de
> > pau... at alumni.cs.utexas.edu

I think he''s looking for help from the Mathematica inclined people in
this newsgroup, so he can give a good presentation about Mathematica,
so this particular line of discussion should be encouraged, IMO. So
anyone who has something to suggest should be encouraged to help him
out so that he can present a good argument about the benefits of
choosing Mathematica as a solution.

-Bob