Re: fellow authors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92561] Re: fellow authors
  • From: pajake <jtrexel at ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 06:06:10 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks David

What I was trying to say, is that the only way that I know, is to make
each chapter into a note book document.  Then some how combine the
notebooks into a book.  But from what I read with Author tools, this way
presents problems such as references (and I have many of them), hyper
links, table of contents and index.  The Author tools sounds like it
puts it all together.  All of this sounds great, but then I found out
that it will not work with version 6.

The final book would be like a regular text book, except it will have a
CD of the book inside it.  This way the students or researchers will not
have to type in the code.  They can just load in what ever note book or
what ever I use, and work with it.  I always taught my students, from
freshmen to grad, to play with the code.  This is why I want to include
my own work on a CD.  I hated in the 60's to rewrite the Fortran code
that was in a book.  I ended up with more mistakes that if I typed it my
self, but it was what I had to do then.  Even though my book is for
upper grad. students and post grad, I still think the CD would be of
benefit to them.

I have never tried the workbench that you mentioned.  WRI will not send
me a CD of it.  I cannot down load it because I only have a dial up
connection, and it would take for ever to get it.  Reason for dial up,
disabled and cannot afford high speed.

What is the Presentations package?  You are so right about the input and
output statements.  This is just one more reason that I am stuck with
what to do.

My book is developing into a 300 - 400 page book.  So far I have over a
100 pages not including the drawings and diagrams.  It would be nice to
start to set the actual book up, so that I will not have to go back and
redo everything in another format.

I have received one other email, and that prof. used Word for his
format.  Even though it was all on the use of Mathematica.  This has
really got me confused.  I can transfer Mathematica to word, but it does
not look the way I want it to.  I have many animations in the book, and
when you transfer them they become static.  I guess this brings me back
to the beginning of the circle.  I need a Mathematical environment.

Thanks again
Jake