Re: How to print TraditionalForm without evaluation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92620] Re: How to print TraditionalForm without evaluation
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 06:32:24 -0400 (EDT)

The following is probably the most common answer you will receive. To
simplify things I have taken the TraditionalForm outside the the Grid. I
have also used the new Version 6 iterator construction that allows us to
list the specific substitutions. (It might have been simpler to use ex[1],
ex[2] etc., to specify the examples and then iterate on the integer range.)
Since the Integrate is in a HoldForm, we have to use a rule to substitute
the iterated values.

Grid[
  {(* Do not integrate the first row *)
   Table[HoldForm[Integrate[integrand, x]] /.
     integrand -> expr, {expr, {ex1, ex2}}],
   (* Integrate the second row *)
   Table[Integrate[expr, x], {expr, {ex1, ex2}}]}, Frame -> All,
  ItemStyle -> Directive[FontSize -> 18, Bold]] // TraditionalForm

With the Presentations package it is possible to use the command HoldOp,
which holds an operation but evaluates the arguments. Then we could write
the above more simply as:

Needs["Presentations`Master`"]

Grid[
  {(* Do not integrate this *)
   Table[Integrate[expr, x] //
     HoldOp[Integrate], {expr, {ex1, ex2}}],
   (* Integrate this *)
   Table[Integrate[expr, x], {expr, {ex1, ex2}}]}, Frame -> All,
  ItemStyle -> Directive[FontSize -> 18, Bold]] // TraditionalForm

Or if you use the Student's Integral part of Presentations you can write it
even simpler using Integrate with a small 'i'.

Grid[
  {(* Do not integrate this *)
   Table[integrate[expr, x], {expr, {ex1, ex2}}],
   (* Integrate this *)
   Table[Integrate[expr, x], {expr, {ex1, ex2}}]},
  Frame -> All,
  ItemStyle -> Directive[FontSize -> 18, Bold]] // TraditionalForm

And if you want the students to actually practice doing integrals
step-by-step using basic integration techniques and a BasicIntegralTable,
such as students often work from, then the first integral could be done by
the following commands:

integrate[ex1, x] // TraditionalForm
% // OperateIntegrand[Apart] // TraditionalForm
% // BreakoutIntegral // TraditionalForm
% // UseIntegralTable[BasicIntegralTable] // TraditionalForm

There are also commands: ChangeIntegralVariable, IntegrateByParts and
Trigonometric Substitute. You can also do definite integrals and obtain
intermediate limit bracket expressions. A student can bypass the Mathematica
Integrate command altogether using integral tables, or at some point the
student can hand the integral over to Mathematica's Integrate or NIntegrate
command.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net