Re: Math Formulas

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92690] Re: Math Formulas
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 04:37:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> The cell that prints the  formula was suggested to me by Bob. It
> prints the formula correctly.
> My attempts to insert a summation sign in front of the formula failed.
> The command
>
>     Sum[f,{i,0,c}]
>
> didn't do the job. Maybe I didn't put it in the right place.

you still have failed to explain what you are trying to do. I have
hardly ever seen the need to create formulas in notebooks the way you
are trying. Mathematica's Frontend is a nice WYSIWYG formula editor, why
are you bothering with the underlying boxes at all?

> Latex formulas are elegant (suitable for framing). Can Mathematica
> match the elegance of Latex? If so I want to know how to do it.

If you like Latex, why don't you try this:

TeXCell[s_String] :=
 ImportString["$\sum _{i=1}^n x_i$", "TeX"][[1, 1]]

CreateDocument[{
  "Here is a formula:",
  TeXCell["$\sum _{i=1}^n x_i$"]
  }]

still wondering what the hell you are trying to achieve...

albert