Import["http://.."] wackiness.... ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92886] Import["http://.."] wackiness.... ?
  • From: "Jason Ledbetter" <jasonbrent at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 05:22:11 -0400 (EDT)

Folk,
I've written a notebook that allows me to process a set of data from a local
data file e.g., Import[ToFileName[....]].

This data is also available via an HTTP web service that returns
text/plain.

When I try to use Import["http://thatservice";], Mathematica returns
"Disallowed Key Characters." and I'm unable to find any reference to what
that means via google.

If I 'wget' or 'curl' http://thatservice and then Import the saved file, the
notebook processes the data just fine.

The best I can figure Import w/ an http url probably wants real html and not
plain text.

Does anyone know of a way around this (other than the obvious of externally
copying said data and importing locally)?

Thanks,

-jbl