Re: FindFit, Weibull

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92915] Re: FindFit, Weibull
  • From: P_ter <petervansummeren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 05:40:33 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,
thanks to all people who answered me.
There was last a question of comparing functions of Mathematica with other programs like it. Such a comparison (timing etc.) must be done, of course. But for me as a user, I am interested in only one question: does Mathematica help me in my situation? This mathgroup is one of the contributers to a positive answer.

A week ago I co-organised for my Bonsai club an auction. There were to few buyers and to many bonsai. It was extreme. So, when I was at the library I typed in, just for fun, "auction extreme". I got only one hit, a dissertation about auctions which looked at the use of "Weibull". On the web I found some introductory to Weibull. My topic came from that. For me it is extremely useful just to practice first - and then read books. So, the extra Ray gave (3 parameter Weibull), I can use now in reading the introductory book about extreme value theory and the dissertation.
There are many more examples in the mathgroup I could give, which come from contributors who just explain the why's of certain Mathematica features. I just read them.
Of course the success stories, the demonstrations are important in comparing, but also the fun one can have, in my case, reading that dissertation and using it.
with friendly greetings,
P_ter