Re: partial Dividers?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93043] Re: partial Dividers?
  • From: Mark Fisher <particlefilter at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 02:32:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Oct 22, 5:39 am, Bob Hanlon <hanl... at cox.net> wrote:
> m = Partition[Range[9], 3];
>
> Grid[{
>   {Grid[{First[m]}]},
>   {Grid[Rest[m], Dividers -> {{False, True}, False}]}}]
>
> Bob Hanlon
>
> ---- Mark Fisher <particlefil... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> =============
> Hi all,
>
> In a Grid, I'd like to have a divider between columns 1 and 2 (for
> example) that goes from the 2nd row to the last row. But I can't
> figure out a way to make a divider that doesn't span the entire grid.
> Is there a way?
>
> --Mark
>
> --
>
> Bob Hanlon

Being inspired by the suggestions of both Bob and David, I have come
up with the following, which does pretty much what I want (I think),
but it's not fully automatic in the sense that one needs to know the
proper width for the first column (which appears as the first
numerical value in the specification for "size").

m = Partition[Range[15], 3];
m[[1, 2]] = 10^5;
m[[1, 3]] = 10^5;

With[{size = {{1, {Automatic}}, {1}}, align = Right},
 Grid[{{
    Grid[{Most[First[m]]}, ItemSize -> size, Alignment -> align],
    SpanFromLeft,
    Last[First[m]]
    },
   Sequence @@ Rest[m]},
  Dividers -> {{True, True, {False}, True}, {True, True, {False},
     True}}, ItemSize -> size, Alignment -> align]
 ]

Thanks guys. Of course, any further suggestions will be appreciated.

--Mark