Re: notation using # with exponents and &

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93115] Re: notation using # with exponents and &
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 03:12:05 -0500 (EST)

In article <gdhqdk$2ir$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com> wrote:

> A pure function (or anonymous function in some other programming
> languages)

"Anonymous function" might in fact seem to be a more meaningful name for
the Mathematic construct, especially since what Mathematica refers to as
a "pure function" seems to be significantly different from what
Wikipedia refers to as a "pure function" in mathematics.

Or am I misunderstanding the Wikipedia description?  (I have no prior
experience with either of these concepts.)