Re: eps and pdf export of Graphic3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93200] Re: eps and pdf export of Graphic3D
  • From: ragfield <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 03:04:23 -0500 (EST)

On Oct 30, 2:00 am, aaragon <alejandro.ara... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to export some pictures to eps and pdf and it seems
> that there is no way to get rid of those white lines that represent
> the polygons used to create the figure.
>
> Try
> Plot3D[Sin[x] Cos[y], {x, -\[Pi], \[Pi]}, {y, -\[Pi], \[Pi]}]
> Export["test.eps", %]
>
> then you see those white lines I'm talking about. The same happens
> with pdf.

The graphic looks a little better if you use:

SetOptions[$FrontEnd, PrintingOptions->{"VertexColorRenderingMethod"-
>"RenderFeatures"}]

before exporting.

3D graphics in Mathematica 6 make use of features which are not (well)
supported by PDF and EPS.  In many cases it simply is not possible to
create an editable vector graphic that appears identical to the on
screen graphic in Mathematica.  What is your goal here?  Do you want
something that looks exactly like it does in Mathematica?  Or do you
want an editable vector graphic?  If you want the appearance to be
identical use a high resolution bitmap.  If you want it to be editable
you may have to adjust the Plot(3D) options until you get output is
good enough.

-Rob