External packages, Manipulate, and MathPlayer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91670] External packages, Manipulate, and MathPlayer
  • From: dr DanW <dmaxwarren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 06:46:16 -0400 (EDT)

Has anyone figured out the rules for when you can Get[] an external
package when you are creating a demo?  I am creating a demo where I am
using some functions defined in another notebook, where this other
notebook is just exporting initialization cells without any of the
usual good-practice of BeginPackage[]...EndPackage[] or Protect[].
This works fine without needing to Encode[] the resulting .m file.
However, if in this auxiliary notebook I try to Get[] a third properly
created package (with its own context and protected symbols) my demo
cannot see any of the functions in it, whether or not I have used
Encode[].

The actual notebooks in question are too complicated to send to this
group, and I have not yet been successful in isolating the problem to
a simple set of notebooks that reproduce the problem.  I am sending
this out in the hopes that somebody knows how to do this, because
documentation on this issue seems to be a single paragraph on the
Wolfram web site, and not that helpful.

Daniel