Re: Mapping A Condition Across Two Different Lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91760] Re: Mapping A Condition Across Two Different Lists
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 05:37:38 -0400 (EDT)

Whenever you want to perform an operation involving two equal length lists
it is worthwhile looking into the Inner command.

listX = {4, 9, 2, 11, 4};
listY = {4, 0, 1, 8, 6};
targetX = 5;
targetY = 3;

Inner[targetX > #1 && targetY > #2 &, listX, listY, List]
{False, False, True, False, False}

Inner[targetX > #1 || targetY > #2 &, listX, listY, List]
{True, True, True, False, True}

Inner[#1 > #2 &, listX, listY, List]
{False, True, True, True, False}

Notice that we have to use List, rather than the default Plus, as the last
argument in the Inner statement.

Another common application of this technique is in combining equations.

eqn1 = x == a + b;
eqn2 = y == c + d;

Inner[Plus, eqn1, eqn2, Equal]
x + y == a + b + c + d