Re: Text-based interface: Editing line input

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91901] Re: Text-based interface: Editing line input
  • From: Ken Johnson <othojunk at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 05:27:44 -0400 (EDT)

I didn't mean to make this a flame war, just ask for suggestions on solving
 a specific scenario that I encounter. That is why I tried the technical mailing list, rather than resorting to some random forum. While I definitely
agree that the GUI version is much better, there are real reasons to use the text based interface (TBI). For instance originally my school only offered Mathematica on campus computers only. Rather than go to campus, I could log into a school Unix server. It is much easier to run the TBI for many basic things rather than using a vnc session to get the GUI up. Then at one point I could get my hands on Mathematica 5.2 for Linux, but the fonts wouldn
't show up on the GUI, and therefore the normal front end was unusable. Rather than properly fixing the problem, I just resort to the TBI (I know that I am lazy, but I didn't care to troubleshoot when I have a viable solution for my needs).

It is interesting that math.exe does provide in-line text editing. Well the linux versions do not. I guess I should have mentioned that I was using linux. However I did find a good solution to my problem on a linux forum. I can wrap the math command with rlwrap, which will intercept input from the command line and allow editing, history etc before passing it onto Mathematica.

rlwrap math