Re: Plotting ListDensityPlot with Custom Color Scheme

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91943] Re: Plotting ListDensityPlot with Custom Color Scheme
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 05:57:21 -0400 (EDT)

Buz Barstow wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm trying to plot out a color map of a matrix with a custom color
> scheme, and add a legend to it.
>
> The maximum value in the matrix is approximately 1.7, and the lowest
> value is -2.7. Most of the values lie in the range -0.5 to +0.5.
>
> When Mathematica 6.0 produces a ListDensityPlot of this matrix, it
> color codes most of the plot, but it leaves large areas with
> "overflow" colors - some of the plot is displayed as white, not on the
> color map.
>
> I'd like to be able to rescale the color function so that it spans the
> range -2.7 to 1.7, and produce a legend for the plot that accurately
> reflects this.

MatrixPlot or ArrayPlot may be more suitable for this than
ListDensityPlot (try them).

With ListDensityPlot, use the option PlotRange -> All, or PlotRange ->
{-2.7, 1.7} to set the range of values to be included in the plot.

The ColorFunction and ColorFunctionScaling options may also be useful.

The legend can be added with the Plot Legends package,

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/PlotLegends/tutorial/PlotLegends.html

Unfortunately that package can be a little problematic to use sometimes,
so you may want to try this alternative:

http://www.walkingrandomly.com/?p=24