Advanced plotting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91967] Advanced plotting
  • From: kazik.lakomy at gmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 03:41:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I am wondering is there a possibility in Mathematica 6 to use two
different scales on vertical axis- one scale on the left one and the
other on the right one (with a horizontal axis being common for both
the vertical ones). The thing is I would like to plot two functions
that have the same "x-domain" but completely different "y-domain". If
I used the standard plotting procedure then if a first function (with
values about 100) can be easily seen on the plot, the values of the
other are to small (close to zero) to be seen. The solution would be
to set two independent Y axes, however I don't know if there is the
possibility in Mathematica 6 (I have seen such a plots in scientific
papers but maybe done with some other application).
The second question is is there a possibility to make breaks in axes.
What I mean is that I have a plot with let say X domain [0,50], but I
am only interested in two parts of it, say [0,10] and [40,50], so is
it possible to set a kind of an option in Plot command? Such a "trick"
is also quite common in scientific papers with characteristic "\\" on
axis in a place where the "break" is made (I know for example how to
do it in Origin and there is quite an easy task).
I have been searching for the staff quite long and haven't found any
solution yet so I would be really grateful if someone would help me
with the issue.
Best regards,
Kazik