Re: Debugger

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92036] Re: Debugger
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 06:11:56 -0400 (EDT)

magma wrote:
> Hi David,
> I used your M-Debug for a while with Mathematica 5.x and it was a real
> pleasure.
> Easy and well documented.
> Unfortunately it does not seem to work any longer in Mathematica 6.0 (I tried
> a couple of times).
> Would it be possible for you to update it and make it usable with the
> "6th generation" ?
> I think many Mathematica users would appreciate it.

Thanks for your comments!

Unfortunately, the debugger will not work with 6.0 - I know. I am toying
with the idea of making a debugger that would work exclusively with .m
(package) files - which need not, of course, contain a package. Such a
file could be read in by the debugger and pre-processed to insert line
number information - thus avoiding the use of TraceScan and the heavy
overhead per step. This approach would preserve the line number
information and would probably run acceptably fast.

I guess I am waiting for the next release of Mathematica to see if they
make the debugger more usable - if they don't, I will probably release
something.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk