Re: imagesize to full width of current screen

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92064] Re: imagesize to full width of current screen
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 05:14:52 -0400 (EDT)

magma wrote:
> On Sep 17, 10:29 am, Albert Retey <a... at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
>> Mitch Murphy wrote:
>>> greetings,
>>> i'm trying to determine the current width of the notebook screen to
>>> size graphics and manipulate's to fit the whole width of the window. =
>
>>> i've looked at PageWidth, ImageSize->All, ImageSize->Full, ImageSize-
>>>  >Large, ImageSize->Scaled[s] (ImageSize->Scaled@1 is equivalent to =
>
>>> ImageSize->Full), $* variables, ...
>>> this is a common feature in other programming languages (javascript in =
>
>>> web browsers for example). i've also searched this mailing list
>>> without success. any ideas?
>>> thanks,
>>> Mitch
>> the information is in the WindowSize option of the corresponding
>> notebook object. This will give you the size of the notebook that
>> evaluates it:
>>
>> WindowSize /. Options[EvaluationNotebook[]]
>>
>> when working with manipulates and palettes you also might want to use
>> ButtonNotebook[] , SelectedNotebook[] and Notebooks[] to get a handle at
>> the notebook you are after.
>>
>> Just in case: You can also get the size of the screen with:
>>
>> ScreenRectangle /. Options[$FrontEnd]
>>
>> which then lets you choose a reasonable size for a new notebook/window.
>>
>> hth,
>>
>> albert
>
> ScreenRectangle does not appear in the $FrontEnd options in Mathematica 6.0,
> but it is mentioned in the Help file as a function not yet fully
> integrated (in 6.0).
> Is there any other way to call it?

in another post there was mentioned:

"FullScreenArea" /. SystemInformation["Devices", "ScreenInformation"]

SystemInformation is new in version 6 and it is not clear to me how
fully integrated this is and whether it could be changed in newer
versions, but it might be a better choice. Note that "ScreenRectangle"
is an option for $FrontEnd since at least version 4.2, so it has quite a
history in being "not yet fully integrated" :-)

hth,

albert