Re: Is there any simplier way to plot in a specific style?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg92412] Re: Is there any simplier way to plot in a specific style?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:48:09 -0400 (EDT)

In general each plot is individual and you will have to specify the options
to give the best appearance to the graphic. However, if you are making many
plots of a similar type it is possible to write definitions that save you
the effort of repeatedly entering the same options, and still allow for
variation when it is necessary. The trick to to allow entry of options and
then insert them BEFORE any built-in options you might define. That way you
can enter new options or override built-in options.

Here's an example:

Plot2[function_, iterator_, opts : OptionsPattern[]] :=
 Plot[function, iterator, opts, Frame -> True,
  FrameLabel -> {"x", "y"}, PlotLabel -> function]

Plot2[x^2, {x, -2, 2}]

Plot2[3 y + y^2, {y, -2, 2}, PlotStyle -> Red,
 FrameLabel -> {"y", "f"}]

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net