release memory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98237] release memory
  • From: summer <summertan at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 04:37:05 -0500 (EST)

I am doing a long memory consuming calculation. At certain point I get variable contaning huge amount of numerical data. I process it and don't need it anymore.

Is there a way to delete it and RELEASE the memory it takes, i. e. make it available?

I tried ClearAll[...], it deletes the variable but the memory doesn't become available - I watch the Windows Task Manager and it doesn't show increase in the available memory.

I know quitting the kernel releases all the used memory but it stops the calculation which I don't want. If I don't release the memory of variables I no longer need, soon I ran out of memory, that's why I need to know how to make the memory available again during calculation.