Re: Fast Access to Installed Packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98368] Re: Fast Access to Installed Packages
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 05:01:40 -0400 (EDT)

David Park wrote:
> I like to have fast ways to access a package documentation. One thing that
> would be helpful is if the 'Add-Ons and Packages' and 'Standard Extra
> Packages' were actually on the drop down Help menu list so we didn't have to
> go through the documentation center or type in the package name. I would use
> these much more than most of the other items on the menu.  For example, why
> is 'Find Selected Function' on the menu list since we can do it much faster
> directly from a notebook?
>

> In lieu of that, I would like to put a command in a package such as
> 'PackageNameHelp' such that it it were evaluated it would bring up Version 6
> documentation.
>

> I know how to do it for Version 5 Help Browser documentation. One uses:
>

> PacletManager`Package`helpBrowserLookup["packagename"];
>

> But I don't know how to write such a statement for Version 6 documentation.
>

> Can anyone help?

Yes, I have been hacking into the documentation system a bit in order to
document my DebugTrace package. You can load that by using:

Documentation`HelpLookupPacletURI["DebugTrace"]

This works for GUIKit and Quantum (my version is only partially
interfaced with the DC) - so I guess it is general.

You can also pull up the documentation for a particular function, for
example

Documentation`HelpLookupPacletURI["GUIKit/ref/CloseGUIObject"]

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk