Re: Are there Arrow-like objects in 3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98439] Re: Are there Arrow-like objects in 3D
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 05:59:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Alexei,

Restricting your question to 3D arrows: yes it's possible. It's
documented on the Arrow page.

Graphics3D[Arrow[Tube[{{3, 3, -1}, {4, 4, 0}}]]]

gives you a real 3D arrow.

Cheers -- Sjoerd

On Apr 8, 11:03 am, Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbi... at iee.lu> wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> In the 3D graphics one can draw lines. I did not find however, such
> objects as arrows. Are there operators which would enable one to
> incorporate an arrow into a 3D graphics object (analogously to Arrow and
> Arrowheads in 2D)?   To be more concrete, I would like to draw
> programmatically a sphere together with its radius-vector to show its
> radius on a sketch, or a cylinder together with an arrow with two heads
> aside of it to indicate its height and this kind of things.
>
> More generally, some graphics objects have their "3D versions" (as say,
> Polygon and Line), but others (such as say, Disk) seem not to have. Is
> there however, some trick to programmatically combine a 2D graphical
> object (that has no 3D analog) with a 3D one (say, to draw a disk
> together with a sphere)?
>
> I use Math 6/WinXP
>
> Best, Alexei
>
> --
> Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., habil.
> Senior Scientist
>
> IEE S.A.
> ZAE Weiergewan
> 11, rue Edmond Reuter
> L-5326 Contern
> Luxembourg
>
> Phone: +352 2454 2566
> Fax:   +352 2454 3566
>
> Website:www.iee.lu
>
> This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or other=
wise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and ha=
ve received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, =
copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us imme=
diately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you fo=
r your co-operation.