Re: Simplifying an expression for computational, not aesthetic

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98443] Re: Simplifying an expression for computational, not aesthetic
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 04:51:02 -0400 (EDT)

"negatron" <lokieffect at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:grkgst$76u$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> My small grudge is that Simplify[x^2/y^2] does not result in (x/y)^2
> even though Mathematica is evidently aware the two are equivalent --
> An input of (x/y)^2 results in an output of x^2/y^2. This seems to be
> because of the brackets, which mathematica prefers to avoid.
>
> My question is, is there a way to specify that Simplify produces the
> SIMPLEST expression it has found, not just the simplest which can most
> conveniently be expressed. There's nothing in the documentation as far
> as I can tell.
>
> Thanks.

The problem is what is the definition of SIMPLEST?

If you are interested in simplification based on "length" of expression, may
be you can use ComplexityFunction -> LeafCount

Simplify[theExpression, ComplexityFunction -> LeafCount]

But for the example at hand, using

 r=HoldForm[(x/y)^2]

Can keep it in the form you want. But then to use "r" later on, one must use
ReleaseHold.

--Nasser