Re: dual y-axis plotting - is it possible in mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98455] Re: [mg98431] dual y-axis plotting - is it possible in mathematica?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 04:53:20 -0400 (EDT)

The Presentations package ($50) among many other things has a CustomTicks
command that allows you to use ticks on any axis that have a 1-1 mapping to
the underlying plot values. You could then scale your error data, using
Rescale say, and provide matching tick values on one y-axis with normal tick
values on the other y-axis. With Presentations it is also easy to draw
multiple plot items along with primitives all in one plotting statement
without using Show or Epilog or having to switch graphics levels. You just
draw one thing after another.

The following page at my web site shows an example of a two y-axis graphic.

http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/DrawGraphicsPage.html

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: David [mailto:anonym2.71828 at gmail.com]

I'm trying to figure out how to create a dual y-axis scatterplot, but there
doesn't seem to be any documentation about how to do this in Mathematica's
help or anywhere online that comes up in a search engine quickly.

Anyone here know how to do it?

By dual y-axis plot, I mean a plot which has one y-axis on the left and one
on the right, with different scales, but with a common x-axis. I need to be
able to make such a plot because I would like to illustrate the measurement
error of a plot of measured values, where the error is much smaller than the
measured values. Because the data is this way, it's difficult to see
variation in the error unless you have a second y-axis that's on a much
smaller scale (say 0 to 0.1) vs. a scale of 0 to 50 for the measurement
data.

There does seem to be plenty of documentation about how to do this in other
systems, and I already know how to do it in Excel. I'm rather surprised
there isn't an easily accessible way to do it in Mathematica... so, any
ideas?