Re: Re: nostalgia for old behaviour: graphics re-sizing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98546] Re: [mg98521] Re: nostalgia for old behaviour: graphics re-sizing
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 03:47:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 03:58:03 -0400 (EDT), Bob F wrote:
> On Apr 8, 3:04 am, "Solomon, Joshua" <J.A.Solo... at city.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> In all versions of Mathematica, you can re-size graphical output with a
>> click and a drag. However, prior to v6 (or maybe even v7), once you re-
>> sized an output, that new size remained coupled to its input. So that if
>> you were to re-evaluate the input, possibly even tweaking it in some
>> way, the new output would have the new size. This doesn't seem to work
>> anymore. Now, all new outputs are given the default size. Is there
>> anyway to get Mathematica to revert to the old behaviour?
>>
> On my Mac with Mathematica version 7.0.1 the sizes get reset every
> time the cell is re-executed, so guess this is yet another difference
> in behavior of Mathematica between Mac's and Windows. Personally, I
> think the behavior on Window's is correct, as if I go to the trouble
> of clicking/dragging to make an output cell's graphics bigger, I think
> that effort should not be lost by re-executing the input cell again,
> with or without changes to some of the cell's parameters. So, Wolfram
> what is the correct behavior??
>
> What kind of system are you doing this on Joshua? I will bet it's not
> a Window's system. How does this work on Linux? On Solaris, and
> others??
>
> -Bob

Joshua and I exchanged several emails off group.  We found all of the cases
where he was experiencing this problem fell into one of two categories...

* Visualization commands which include explicit ImageSize options. Mathematica
considers explicit ImageSize option settings from the evaluation to trump those
set by the user after the fact.  This behavior is by design, and I think it's
quite defensible.

* A bug which Joshua helped to uncover where a graphic with a PlotLegend
inappropriately includes an explicit ImageSize setting even when the plotting
command itself doesn't contain one.

As long as there are no explicit ImageSize settings (or, until the bug is fixed,
a PlotLegend), graphics should be remembering their sizes on all platforms. If
you find any counter examples, please let me know and I'll investigate.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group