Mathematica 7.0.1 system load when idleing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98565] Mathematica 7.0.1 system load when idleing
  • From: markus <markusg.phys at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 03:31:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

having installed Mathematica 7.0.1 (Student edition) for Windows (Win
XP SP3), I have noticed that as soon as the MathKernel.exe is loaded,
my CPU usage goes up to 30% every 3 seconds. This behavior is visible
when I leave my system idle, and I have observed it so far also on
another Windows system. It didn't occur in the 7.0.0 version.

Using the ProcessExplorer and ProcessMonitor tools, I found out that
actually the system load is not directly caused by the MathKernel, but
by a process called "svchost.exe" (of which there are typically many
running in the background). The MathKernel (and svchost) constantly
generate calls to the Windows Registry querying for example "HKLM
\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\" and
some other possibly network related things.

I find this behavior very annoying especially when you are working
with a laptop...
Does anybody else has experienced this?