Re: How to find current ViewAngle, ViewPoint during Rotating graphics?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98570] Re: [mg98552] How to find current ViewAngle, ViewPoint during Rotating graphics?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 03:32:48 -0400 (EDT)

Make a Plot, say,

Plot3D[(x - 3) (y - 2), {x, 0, 5}, {y, 0, 5},
 ImageSize -> 300]

Then in the output, position the cursor to the left of the plot and type
'AbsoluteOptions['. Next position the cursor to the right of the plot and
type ',ViewPoint]'. Evaluate and you will obtain the current ViewPoint. You
can rotate the image and reevaluate to get the new ViewPoint. Then copy the
ViewPoint into the original plot statement.

Without the ImageSize option it also works but I get warning messages after
rotating.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Nasser Abbasi [mailto:nma at 12000.org]

Mathematica 7.

Is there a way to display the current ViewAngle and/or View point of a 3D
graphics as one is rotating it with the mouse?

Sometimes I am not sure what is the best view angle to use initially, but
after I rotate the 3D graphics and find a good angle I like, there does not
seem to be a way to determine its value from the front end. I was expecting
may be that a mouse right-click on the graphics or something similar would
bring up some information about the current state of the graphics.

Any one knows a trick way to find this information?

Thanks,
--Nasser