Mathematica 7 problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98689] Mathematica 7 problems
  • From: Valery Yundin <yundin at ifh.de>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 04:15:35 -0400 (EDT)

Dear All,

I run Mathemtica 7.0.1 on 64-bit Linux (opensuse 11.0).
------ First problem -------------------
I have a problem with $MachineDomains, when I try execute it, kernel
silently crashes. Because of that SystemInformation[] is also broken
(because it includes SystemInformation["Kernel", "MachineDomains"],
I checked all other properties are OK).

Mathematica 6.0.3 does not crash in this situation
In[1]:= $MachineDomains
Out[1]= {host.de, host.de}
These are domains for two network interfaces.

If I disable all networkinterfaces, Mathematica 7.0.1 does not crash,
but output is different from 6.0.3:

In 6.0.3:
In[1]:= $MachineDomains
Out[1]= {host.de}

In 7.0.1:
In[1]:= $MachineDomains
Out[1]= {hostname.host.de, hostname.host.de}

Which is obviously wrong, because it shows not only domains, but also
includes hostname.

For some reason (perhaps because of Compiz window manager) I cannot
minimize or maximize any window from "Documentation Center".

All other windows are OK (notebooks, palettes, etc...).
The window only slightly changes its shape but the size does not change.

It is strange because in 6.0.3 it works flawlessly.

--
With best regards, Valery Yundin.