Re: Abbreviation of File Names in File Menu

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98795] Re: Abbreviation of File Names in File Menu
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 04:55:33 -0400 (EDT)

Hugh Goyder wrote:
> In the drop down File Menu the penultimate block is a list of recently
> used notebooks; 30 in my case because I have used the options
> inspector to change NotebooksMenuHistoryLength.  I like long notebook
> names because it helps me to distinguish changes I have made. In
> Version 7 these names are now given in an abbreviated form with the
> first few characters, three dots (an ellipsis) and the last few
> characters. This means that I can't reap the benefit of long file
> names because the middle of the name is missing. I have plenty of
> width across the screen so abbreviating is no help.
>
> Is it possible to prevent the file names being abbreviated.?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hugh Goyder

There is a further problem with this feature. I too would like to look
back at a longer list of recent file choices, but Mathematica picks out
mnemonic letters for these which clash with letters used in the earlier
part of the menu. Thus for example, if (with Windows) you type Alt-FS,
you normally activate the save menu item, but sometimes with an extended
list the S will have been picked again, which invalidates this method of
selection completely.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk