Re: Export / pipe problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98781] Re: Export / pipe problems
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 04:53:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 18, 1:36 am, Frederick Finkelstein <fred.finkelst... at live.com>
wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> using Mathematica Vers. 6 on Linux, I expected that
>
> fig = Plot[x, {x, 1, 10}]
>
> Export["!lpr", fig, "EPS"]
>
> should work like advertised in the Documentation Center, instead, I get
>
> an error message
>
> lpr: error - stdin is empty, so no job has been sent.
>
> The same happens with
>
> Export["!lpr", "Hello World", "Text"]
>
> Does anybody have a idea why stdin could be empty?
>
> Of course, Export["fig.eps", fig, "EPS"] works fine and lpr also.
>
> The documentation says,
>
> Export["!prog",expr, ...] exports data to a pipe.
>
> Do I misunderstand something?
>
> Thanks for any idea.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Fred.
>
> PS: The purpose is to replace Display["!PSPrint", fig] as Display does
> not exist any more in v6.

This works OK on my Mac - although some of the graph on the printout
got clipped off (missing x tick labels and a small portion of the
leftmost part of the graph (minimum x value on printout looks to be
about 1.4 instead of the value on the screen and what it should be of
1.0 )

So this appears to be specific to Linux (at least) -- wonder if there
is a different character on Linux to use instead of the ! -- Is there
anywhere in the Documentation Center that has platform specific
details?

-Bob

ps - just for grins try putting a backslash in front of the !