Re: 3D plots and using mouse click-drag to rotate - why the extra

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98821] Re: 3D plots and using mouse click-drag to rotate - why the extra
  • From: mark mcclure <mcmcclur at unca.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 01:31:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 19, 4:52 am, Bob F <deepyog... at gmail.com> wrote:
> When you create a 3D plot and then use the mouse to click-drag to
> rotate the surface to view it from another angle, there is always an
> extra translation thrown in by Mathematica as soon as you let the
> mouse button go after this click-drag. ... Is this extra
> translation at the end something that you can prevent without having
> to resort to the Option-click/zoom step?

You can specify an explicit ViewAngle.  For example,

Plot3D[Sin[x y] + 10, {x, -3, 3}, {y, -3, 3},
 AxesOrigin -> {0, 0, 10}, Boxed -> False,
 PlotRange -> {Automatic, Automatic, {0, 20}},
 ViewAngle -> 0.3]

Of course, it can be tricky to figure out a good setting for
ViewAngle at the start.

Incidentally, I figured this out by examining the cell expression
for a 3D output cell before and after your Option-click/zoom
trick and then comparing.  You can examine the cell expression
of any cell by highlighting the cell and choosing
'Show Expression' under the Cell menu.

Mark McClure